The electronic dartboard is an electronic analog of a regular dartboard that has thousands of tiny holes on its surface, allowing for automatic score count. And not only this: the best electronic dart board can offer a lot of other built-in features (numerous game modes, for example) being able to attract more players.
The electronic dartboards appeared in 1977 and still popular. Nowadays, they can be found everywhere: in cafes, pubs, bars, shopping malls, etc. Even Electronic Darts Championships are held. Professional players use electronic dartboards for their training sessions as they are able to offer a statistical analysis of the game. This way, due to numerous features and increased level of convenience, it’s hard to over esteem the advantages of electronic models in comparison with the usual ones.
There are various models available on the modern market. Some of them are battery-powered, allowing for more flexibility, and others should be connected to electricity. You can also choose compact on-wall boards or large stand-up models with cabinets. Some models are designed for 4 players and the others for 8 and more. Moreover, the gaming process will be accompanied by different effects offering even more fun for you and your guests.
Thus, if you are planning to play darts with your guests or family and need to make the game simple and straightforward, the electronic model is your way to go. However, it will be rather problematic than entertaining to play darts if you buy a poor-quality electronic dart board. For this reason, we have picked the top 9 of the most decent models in one article. In addition, our buyer’s guide will help you find out more about the reasons to buy an electronic dart board and its features.
Electronic Dart Boards Reviews
The current WIN.MAX model is an electronic soft-tip dartboard. It offers 21 different games with 65 variations (no-score cricket, scram, killer, nine dart century, etc.) and is intended to be used by 4 players. You can also play against a smart virtual opponent with 5 skill levels. The automatic scoring system announces the scores by voice so you can feel like you are participating in a real championship.
The spider is thin enough to eliminate most bounce-outs. The panel below the target area contains the game list, an LCD display that shows the scores, and 6 buttons. Green buttons on the left stand for cybermatch/sound, player, and game. Red buttons on the right serve for turning the unit on/off, start the game, and double/miss.
This model can be the best electronic dart board for you if the number of additional features matters as it goes in the all-in-one kit so nothing else is needed to start playing.
It includes 12 darts (with 4 different designs for each player or team), 40 tips, 20 rubber O-rings, 24 standard polypro flights, mounting hardware, flight protector to prevent the flight from ripping, and an AC power adapter. There is also a game manual that contains all instructions.
The barrels on the provided darts have knurls and deep cuts to provide firm grip, so you can place your fingers where you want to. The precision-cut extra thick PVC flights are made in such a way to ensure a stable flight path, better balance, and accuracy.
The overall size of this electric dart board is 20 x 17 x 1 inches and the playing area diameter measures 13.8 inches. This way, this model is quite compact and won’t take too much space on the wall. Such dimensions also make it a suitable solution for kids. The dartboard is lightweight (3.4 lbs) so there are no problems with hanging it on the wall.
- The dartboard can be powered via an AC cord or batteries in case if you don’t have an outlet near the place where you want to hang it.
- The catch ring seems wide enough to protect your walls and other stuff in the house from errant throws.
- The kit includes a dart multi-use tool that will help you with tightening tips.
- The display is quite dim and it’s hard to see what it shows from the throwing distance.
- The included adapter has a very long plug, so it will slide out if you have an old outlet.
- The batteries are not included in the kit.
The Arachnid Cricket Pro 800 is an electronic dartboard with extremely thin dividers, so constant bounce-outs won’t be a problem. It can offer 39 games (including 7 cricket games) with 179 variations.
The Cricket Pro 800 is remarkable for having a large control panel. There you will find 13 control buttons (power, game, solo play, game options, etc.), including big red “Next player” button in the center, game menu, and large, vivid Jumbo X/O LED display that is clearly seen even at a great distance thanks to very bright red LED lights. The current player indicator is located on the left side from the display.
The target area has classic red, black, and yellow design and measures 15.5 inches (the target areas of the same size and color are normally used at tournaments). The segments are made of nylon which is widely known for its durability.
The size of the whole board is 21 x 2 x 29 inches. Due to the large control panel below the target, the unit has quite a significant weight of 10 lbs.
This Cricket Pro 800 is designed for a maximum of 8 players. It also includes sound effects that harass players for bad throws and greet with applause for good ones (the volume control is present). You can also play in one of 3 difficulty levels.
The kit includes 6 soft-tip darts, power adapter, mounting hardware, operating manual, as well as game instructions.
- The target area has specifically made, square-shaped holes that work perfectly in guiding dart tips into the board.
- The sensors inside are very sensitive and responsive so the dartboard works accurately and without any delays.
- It shows point per dart of each player at the end of the round allowing for better game tracking.
- The display shows scores of only 4 players and you have to scroll down to see the other players’ scores.
- You can’t use dart that weighs more than 0.7 ounces as it will damage the board.
- At times, the board keeps showing an Error 10 message for no reason until you reset it.
Video Arachnid Cricket Pro 800
The BG1041CH-P one of the best electronic dart boards for those who don’t feel like hanging a dartboard on the wall. It’s a stand-up model that goes in a wood cabinet with two shelves inside that offer plenty of space to conveniently store any accessories and dart holders, integrated into the doors. The cabinet has a dark cherry finish and may be just what you need to complete your interior if it is combined with other wooden objects in the room. Besides, it’s very easy to assemble.
At the lower part of the dartboard, you will find a game list, 10 control buttons, and an informative display. This model can be used by up to 8 players. It can offer 29 games with over 90 variations. The game process will be accompanied by different sound effects and voice announcements for better convenience.
The target area is 15.5 inches. The cabinet has 24 x 9.25 x 81 inches in size, so it’s slim enough to fit between the furniture, for example. It also stands on two free-standing legs that offer decent stability.
This stand-up electronic dart board ships with 3 red and 3 black checkered soft-tipped darts and 6 spare tips.
- For more convenience, the darts can be stored right on the board, in special holes around the target area.
- The dartboard can be taken off the cabinet and mounted on the wall as well if you want to.
- The cabinet is manufactured of high-quality, durable yellow poplar hardwood.
- There are no upper doors so you can’t close up the dartboard to keep it safe when it’s not in use.
- The provided darts aren’t of good quality, so it will be better to replace them with a higher quality set.
The Fat Cat Electronx is an electronic dartboard with a cabinet that has two classically looking doors that will fit in almost any interior and look neatly on the wall.
The target area has concave segment holes and measures 13.5 inches. The slots, integrated into the doors, allow storing up to 4 sets of darts (12 in total).
The max number of players is limited to 8. There are 38 games with 167 scoring options. You can also play with a computer with 5 difficulty levels in a special CPU mode.
There are several vibrant LCD displays that show current scores, settings, and points per dart so each player can keep track of his/her improvements. Different sound effects and voice announcements can be heard from two round speakers located below the target. 10 oval lustrous silver control buttons are located at the very bottom of the board. They let you eliminate scores, note bounce-outs, etc. The large start button is located in the right corner.
The manufacturer provides 6 darts with spare tips together with the board. The board can also be used with 17 oz and 19 oz darts.
The cabinet has an average size of 20.2 x 1.5 x 24.8 inches and weighs 12 lbs.
- There is an auto-sleep mode that will come in handy when you forget to turn the board off.
- The target area is forged from enduring polymer compounds so it’s durable enough to withstand the toughest throws again and again.
- The ABS cabinet and durable polymer target area make this dartboard suitable for placing outside.
- There is no games list on the unit’s body.
- The darts stick to the board badly.
- The provided screws for mounting are too short.
The present model goes embedded in a cabinet with doors that allow closing up the dartboard. These doors also have built-in slots for storing the darts.
The large red button on the right side of the dartboard serves for launching the game. There are also 6 control buttons, including the volume control button that allows raising and lowering the sound level from 0 to 7. The score-keeping LED display is located above the target area. It’s very bright and provides a crisp view of score and statistics. The games list is located on the right door.
Buying this electronic dartboard, you will be able to play darts with 8 players or with a virtual opponent that has 5 skill levels. This model can offer 27 games with 195 scoring options.
To reduce bounce-outs, the unit features the ultra-thin dividers and concave segment holes.
The dartboard diameter measures 13.5 inches and the whole cabinet is 24.4 x 20 x 2 inches in size and weighs slightly more than 10 lbs. Such size and weight make it one of the most compact cabinet dart boards for those who don’t have a lot of free space on the wall.
The kit includes 12 checkered soft-tipped darts of 4 different colors (red, blue, green, and black), 40 soft-tip dart points, AC power adapter, and game manual.
- The robust ABS cabinet ensures the durability and longevity of the dartboard.
- The darts don’t get stuck in the board and are easy to remove.
- The dartboard has additional screw holes that prevent it from moving when you pull the darts out.
- The dart holders are plastic and break easily.
- The provided darts with plastic shafts are of cheap quality.
This dartboard is one of the most minimalistic electronic models you can ever find on the market as it has no display and no control buttons. There is only one button to start the game (the switch to turn the unit on/off is located on the board’s side) and green LED power status indicator.
So, how do you control the board and track the scores? This model supports Bluetooth 4.0 and must be paired with your smartphone. It’s used together with a special Gran Board app that is compatible with both iOS, Android, and even Smart TV. It offers such variations of dart game like cricket, count-up, half it, etc. It also allows for online playing which means that you can compete with a friend who also has an electronic dartboard from Gran on distance.
This electronic darts is able to offer great flexibility as it runs on two AA batteries, so you can hang the board anywhere without depending on the outlet placement. Most of its body is made of plastic, but the back cover is made of wood.
The unit features a modest size of 21 x 19 x 1 inches and weighs 5.5 lbs. Due to the absence of any displays and buttons, it offers increased compactness and will look very neatly on your wall. The kit includes mounting screws and 2 sets of darts.
- The shock-absorbing mat dampens the sound of a dart hitting the board.
- You will be receiving new games with each Gran Board app update.
- You can play in 9 levels against an AI computer.
- It would be better if the Start button were located underneath or on the side of the board. It’s very sensitive, so the board switches players each time you accidentally hit the button with a dart.
- Some segments stick at times, leading to erroneous scores.
The Bullshooter Cricket Maxx 1.0 goes inbuilt in the cabinet with two doors that have slots for storing 6 darts (two sets of 3 soft-tip darts are included in the package). The outer cover of these doors has a nice walnut finish, so the board has an elegant look when it is closed.
The speakers, game list, 4 score displays, and 13 control buttons are placed in the lower part of the unit. They include the large red start/next player button, reset button, solo play button, etc. The large backlit X/O LCD display (popular pub style format) for 8 players can be found on the right door.
This model has a 13.5-inch target area and offers 34 games (including 4 cricket games) with 183 variations. It includes a Heckler feature that mocks you for bad throws and applauds for good scores which, however, can be turned off with a simple press of a button if you don’t like it.
The 27 x 22.5 x 5.5 inch darts board is quite heavy, weighs almost 15 pounds.
- There are 4 tiny magnets at the doors’ edges so they don’t open on their own.
- The board comes almost fully assembled so you don’t have to waste your time putting it together.
- The darts stick into the board very well.
- The audio effects sound unclear.
- Despite the fact that the cabinet has a wood finish, it isn’t made of wood but of a poor-quality plastic.
The Dartslive-200S goes in a square-shaped enclosure and features a minimalist interface with the 15.5-inch playing surface. It has only two buttons: Change (red) and Start (yellow).
You should connect the board to your tablet or phone via Bluetooth 3.0 and download the Dartslive-200S app (compatible with OS 7 or later and Android 4.0 or later) to check the scores, set the game, etc. This app includes some Dartslive exclusive games. It also can offer a special Challenge mode designed for training sessions. The board also automatically turns the sleep mode on if left unused for 2 hours.
The dartboard is battery-powered (requires 3 1.5V AA batteries). It has 22.46 x 20.87 x 1.63 inches, weighs 8 lbs, and is mainly made of plastic. The kit includes soft-tip darts with 10 extra tips, USB cable, and attaching screws.
- The LEDs on both sides of the board add more light so you can play even in the dark.
- The improved noise reduction feature dampens sound when you throw the dart, so you can play without disturbing the others.
- The batteries are not required if the board is connected to some source of power via a USB cable. It requires a minimal current so you can use any USB plug you have in your home.
- The provided darts have nylon stems that break easily.
- The app doesn’t provide the online game feature.
This Arachnid Electronic dart board is able to offer 31 games with 178 variations to choose from. You can play against a virtual opponent or invite your family and friends (7 players can play at one time). The target area measures 15.5 inches.
5 multi-color backlit LCD displays (including 2 dedicated X/O scoring windows) are situated in the lower part of the unit. 9 yellow control buttons are grouped on the left side. The start/next player, reset, power buttons, and the button to activate or disable Heckler option (a voice comments your fails and successes in the game in a funny, entertaining way) are located on the right.
It goes with two sets of soft-tip darts (6 in total) and a power adapter. The board is very compact, having 19 x 1 x 19 inches. It also weighs only 6 lbs.
- The target area is made of durable PVC, so it can withstand many years of heavy play.
- All the displays provide a very clear and bright view.
- The max volume level is impressively loud so you will hear Heckler talking even in a noisy room.
- The Heckler function periodically stops working for no reason.
- The shafts on the provided darts are too fragile.
The Reason to Choose an Electronic dart board
The traditional bristle dart boards are usually used with steel-tipped darts that offer an authentic feeling. Plus, they are much cheaper than their advanced electronic analogs. However, an electronic dartborad can offer more advantages.
The main advantage is safety. You can’t even think about buying steel-tipped darts for your kids or using them when kids are around. They also can damage your wall and items around. The electronic models are compatible with soft-tipped darts which make it a family-friendly option. However, for professional players and for those who prefer an authentic feel of real darts, there are also some models of electronic dart boards that can be used with traditional steel-tipped darts.
Electronic Dartboard Features
The electronic dart boards come with a set of features that make the playing process much more entertaining:
- You can choose from dozens of preloaded games. Many of them offer an alternative approach to the game of darts which will be perfect for those who are bored with traditional darts.
- The automatic scoring feature helps you easily track the scores of each player. Some models even can inform you about your scores with some sound or visual effects, comments, etc. For example, some dartboards will light up the area where the dart has land.
- Each player’s averages, records, and data will be shown on a special display.
- Can be synchronized with your smartphone and used together with a special app, allowing for more customization and interactivity.
- If you have no one to play and compete with, the electronic dartboard will provide a virtual opponent.
Electronic Dartboard Appearance
Structurally, the electronic dartboard is similar to the traditional one. It has the same elements: double ring, triple ring, outer bullseye, and inner bullseye. However, looking closer, you will notice that the electronic one is covered with numerous tiny holes. Thanks to those holes and sensors inside, the board unerringly counts your scores. Plus, due to these holes, the target area will never be spoiled by darts. This way, the electronic models are much more durable than traditional ones, being suitable for intensive training sessions and frequent use.
It is manufactured of durable, thermoplastic material (such as nylon, for example). Special rings and dividers separate each scoring section. They must be very thin to prevent bounce-outs. There is also a numbered ring around the scoring area.
Usually, the holes in the electronic dartboard are tapered to accept dart with a soft tip. The soft-tip dartboards are smaller than bristle dartboards. The average size of bristle dartboards is 18 inches while the average size of a soft tip dartboard can vary from 13 to 16 inches in diameter. In accordance with the international standard, a soft-tip dartboard should have 15.5 inches in diameter.
How to Place an Electronic Dart Board?
An electronic dart board should be placed at a height of 5.8 feet from bullseye to the floor. The distance from bullseye to throw line should be 8 feet.
LCD or LED display?
Most electronic dartboards have a built-in display that shows different information: names of the players, scores, and other details about the game process. The most advanced models can even have several displays. There are two types of displays that can be used in electronic dartboards: LCD or LED.
The LED display is bright, easy to read, and generally more aesthetically pleasing. The LCD display, in its turn, is more minimalistic and dimmer, and harder to read. Most frequently, the LCD displays are used in cheaper models.