If a driver takes care of his/her vehicle, it’s crucial to have access to the best jump starter for diesel that is able to save a motor in an emergency. Such units are specifically developed for that type of fuel to provide enough power for a diesel car’s battery
The starters come into play when a vehicle suddenly stopped on the road. Fortunately, a diesel jump starter is designed to dispense other vehicle’s powered battery to revive the dead one. It can replace the cable technique of restoration but is subject to its high quality.
The best jump starter for diesel features a high capacity up to 20,000 mAh and even more. Its operating cycle is durable and reaches 20-30 jump-starts. Besides, one should consider a voltage that is around 11V–12V. Such devices usually take time to be recharged, but the most advanced models can handle this task in 3 hours.
Note that those parameters are pointed out as a benchmark when making a purchase. Slight elevations don’t mean the unit’s lower quality. Besides, it’s crucial to bear in mind all the specs as a whole. The following reviews will help drivers make the right choice.
Jump Starters For Diesel Reviews
This device has a modest size, but that hasn’t stopped it from being a powerful unit. It’s suitable for both diesel and gas vehicles, including boats and lawn cutters. This model is really portable and lightweight (just 2.69 lbs). It can be stored in a glove compartment, trunk, toolbox, or center console. However, its power provides 20 jump-starts before getting empty.
The tool is fitted with the main security system — a spark-proof tech to ensure safe connections even if hooking the unit up in the wrong way. It just identifies the problem and warns the user via the dedicated indicator.
This model holds 75% of power for a year. It doesn’t take much time to be fed. It depends on the current being used to power it. At the max, it can accept 2.1A that powers it completely in 3 hours.
- It’s 2.1A USB output is compatible with all products with USB onboard (mobile devices, smartwatches, headphones, portable Bluetooth speakers).
- The unit’s LED flashlight features 100 lumens that are enough to work at night and, besides, it comes with both SOS and Emergency modes.
- It lacks ports with the different voltage that make a user consider the USB cord’s parameters to pick the cord with the voltage.
Video NOCO Boost Plus GB40
The device is designed for 7.0L gas or 5.5L diesel vehicles, including vans, bikes, boats, PWCs, and snowmobiles. Generally, the unit’s 800A of power is enough to jump-start most SUVs, family, and commercial vehicles. The device is also compatible with mobile gadgets and laptops, including Apple products.
Its dimensions are 7.16 x 3.18 x 1.37 inches. The unit weighs only 1.21 pounds. The device features large clamps that should fit any posts. The clamps have strong jaws that are fully isolated. This model LED light is onboard. It’s bright and works in strobe, SOS, spotlight, and warning modes (it lights red in the latter case). The battery jump box for diesel comes in EVA carrying case and includes a USB cable, clamps with an indicator, a car charger, and a cigarette adapter.
The device has a built-in compass on the main panel. It is designed with 5V/9V and 5V/2.1A outputs, a 12V/10 DC output port for a cigarette lighter adapter, an On/Off slider, and a power button on the side panel. The LCD screen shows how much power remains and output voltage.
- The T8 needs only 4 – 5 hours to become fully charged. Many other similar models require up to 24 hours.
- The 18,000 mAh battery is capable of 30 jumpstarts on a single charge.
- The manual doesn’t point out that the On/Off slider must be set to the “On” position when it’s necessary to recharge the unit. It is not so obvious.
- The case is very tight. It’s difficult to pack clamps with cables there.
Video Tacklife T8
The 12-volt high-amperage device features 2,200A of output current. The unit is fitted with a powerful lithium battery of 21,800 mAh, providing 55 jump-starts per single charge. It’s designed for various types of vehicles with gas engines up to 7.0L and diesel ones up to 6.5L. So, the drivers can use this device for motorcycles, boats, PWCs, cars, UTVs, RVs, and agricultural machines. Also, the jump starter can feed smartphones and laptops.
This unit is remarkable for its safe jump-start for batteries exposed to warm or cold weather, thanks to the temperature compensation. It has full-fledged protection from short circuit, reverse polarity, and overload.
The portable device has dimensions of 7.7 x 3.5 x 1.6 inches, weighing 1.56 pounds. It is a 3-mode LED flashlight that can glow, produce pulse lighting, or blink in the rhythm of an SOS signal.
The LED screen to show the charge level and a power button are on the top panel. The ports for cables on the side have a plastic cover to protect them from dust and water. Two ports nearby are for 5V/3A, 9V/2A, 12V/1.5A, and 5V/2.1 outputs, respectively. There is a DC output on the unit’s other side. The jump-starter comes in a zippered soft-sided rigged case.
The power pack includes a cigarette lighter adapter, a USB charging cable, and clamps with the cable that has an LCD indicator. The latter has a series of symbols that show low voltage (LV), high voltage (888), reversed polarity (R), reverse charge (R), high temperature (HT), and short circuit (SC).
- The G26 is powerful enough to jump-start a car with a completely dead battery.
- The device has a versatile USB Type-C port that is input and output simultaneously.
- I’d like to see a USB adapter in the pack.
- The jump-starter’s battery gauge shows a not accurate battery charge level, decreasing it by 20%.
Video TopVision G26
This model of a jump starter for a diesel truck is an 800-amp device with an 18,000 mAh battery. It’s a versatile device, being suitable for a wide range of vehicles (car, ATV, boat, etc.) and even laptops. As for vehicles, it’s necessary to consider using it for up to 7.2L gas and 5.5L diesel engines.
The unit is protected against possible wrong connections, short circuits, power surges, overload, and overvoltage. It can be used at different temperatures, from -4F to 140F. Consider feeding the jump starter’s battery at least up to 50% before using it. Otherwise, it won’t work.
The red-and-black plastic portable power bank has 7.28 x 1.57 x 3.54 inches in size and weighs 1.33 pounds. It is designed with a compass on the front panel and an LED flashlight on one of its sides. A jumping port, an ON/OFF button, 5V/2.1A USB and 5V/2.4A ports, and an output to charge laptops are one the long side panel. The unit also has an indicator that starts lighting green when it’s allowed to start. Besides, a convenient LCD display shows the charge level and output voltage. The removable clamps and cables for different gadgets are in the package.
- The unit comes in a semi-hard zippered case where it’s possible to pack the jump-starter and all the accessories. So, it’s very convenient to take the device to the road.
- The flashlight can glow red for emergencies, except for working in traditional SOS, strobe, and high modes.
- This unit cannot be connected to Macbook.
- The clamps have very short cables.
Video DBPower 800A
The device is designed for jump start diesel trucks and it comes with a capacity of 18000 mAh and can jumpstart any deep cycle battery. It fits heavy-duty machines and has a 12V outlet to plug various accessories. It’s CCA rating is high to turn over most engines in cold weather. However, it can’t handle the situation if the battery is completely drained or if the temperature outside is very low.
This equipment cannot boast smart protection, but it features insulated and spark-resistant cables and clamps, as well as reliable automatic circuit protection against overloads. It requires maintenance every 3 months like plugging it into a house socket.
The unit comes in a hard plastic housing and it is rather heavy, but it’s compact enough to keep it in the trunk of a vehicle. It comes with a convenient handle to carry it around. The device hasn’t an LSD screen, but a classic gauge where a thin arrow shows the amount of power is left.
- High-quality and long jumper clamps.
- The unit has a voltage regulator so that it can be left plugged in constantly.
- It is designed with replaceable parts (battery inside and clamps).
- Lack of a power switch requires keeping the cables separate and storing them correctly to avoid sparking.
- No reverse polarity detection so the device isn’t able to turn off automatically in case of reverse connection. It makes double-checking of all connections crucial.
Video Clore Automotive Jump-N-Carry JNC660
This device can become the best jump starter for a diesel engine due to its power. The unit boasts 2,000A of peak output current. So, it’s compatible with all types of motor vehicles and PWCs with gas engines up to 8L and diesel ones up to 6L. This device features a fast charge. Though it comes half-charged, it takes just a couple of hours to be fully fed via the USB cable.
The battery capacity allows for 40 jump-starts until the unit’s battery is drained. The device can start even dead batteries. This NOCO is fully protected for such troubles as wrong connections or sparks. The rubberized sides prevent the jump-starter from scratches.
The power button is on the main panel. It also includes a power LED that glows being turned on. There, one can see the error LED that starts blinking when something is wrong. Four LEDs indicate the charge level. A USB out and input, 12V out, and input are on the side panel. The unit’s sizes are 6 x 2.5 x 8.6 inches, and its weight is 5 pounds. The pack includes clamps, XGC Male and Female connectors, XGC cable, and Micro USB cable.
- It’s a water-resistant device, rated at IP65.
- The LED flashlight is very bright, having 400 lumens of output light.
- The ports’ dust plugs are flimsy. They don’t adjoin tightly.
- The USB charging port looks weak. It may break down over time if the user will always charge heavy items.
Video NOCO Boost HD GB70
This diesel battery jump starter handles a 7.5L gas engine, a semi-trucks engine, and even a V8 vehicle, but it’s necessary to check the voltage and CCA rating. If they’re okay, wait some time for an initial start if the battery is completely dead.
The unit has a large range of operating temperatures at-4F to 122F. But remember that no similar assembly is developed to survive in such conditions if it’s stored in heat or cold constantly.
The time of feeding differs. For example, this model is compatible with a 2.1A USB feeder and it will charge fully in 2–4 hours at its rate. Using a USB adapter of lower amperage will take 4-8 hours to fully charge.
This model comes with a bright LED flashlight and a USB hole to hook up a mobile device, a laptop, or a tire inflator. It’s able to prevent reverse polarity so no need to worry about wrong connections. Besides, the whole set of other protection systems are developed to avoid overloads, overheat (due to a natural convection cooling), and overcurrent.
- Its clamps come with durable metal teeth and a connector.
- Ergonomic construction with side tabs for storing the cable clamps.
- The cables are a little shorter than average.
- The unit is too heavy to carry around.
Video NOCO Boost Pro GB150
What are the Uses of a Jump Starter?
If thinking of how to use those products, let’s learn about their parts. Any unit includes a battery, cables, air processor, and USB ports (not in all models). Cables are designed to be connected to hook up the battery to the power source with their clamps in order to feed a vehicle.
When seeing that a car/trunk battery is losing its power, pull out an assembly from its storage and hook up the cables to jump-start a car independently without any other vehicles. Use it only once since all high-quality models feature enough power to handle the task instantly. Now, let’s see how to do everything correctly.
- Take a red cable and hook it up to the positive terminal of the battery.
- Take a black cable and connect it to the negative terminal.
- Switch the assembly on.
- Calibrate the power to make it suitable for the car’s motor (models with over-current protection allows skipping this step).
- Turn the vehicle on and wait a few seconds. If a jump-start doesn’t happen, it means problems in a vehicle itself but not in its battery.
- Disconnect a positive cable and then a negative one.
- Feed the jump starter after it has done its job.
- Test the engine to ensure its normal condition. This step is crucial if using the most powerful jump starter.
Note that to provide a safe process, the car’s battery should be examined. If noted that explosive gas is leaking out of it, a jump starter cannot be applied. Wrong cable connections can be also dangerous, but it’s not a big deal if a jump starter features special protection — auto switch-off.
What Jump Starter’s Dimensions are Optimal for Me?
Before making a purchase, one should ask himself “What size jump starter do I need?” Not long ago, a large size meant great power. Modern techs allowed manufacturing compact but rather powerful devices. For example, portable units feature 10,000 mA on average but can easily fit into the smallest trunk or even in the driver’s kit with tools.
Very often, when speaking about sizes, it means a jump starter’s capacity. The most powerful units are more expensive that’s why it’s rational to consider the car model before choosing a model with a certain capacity in order not to overpay.
For example, 4,000 mA products are perfect for small and medium-size cars like the Kia Forte or Nissan Versa. 6,000 mA units are suitable for larger water vehicles or cars like the Mazda CX-5. 8,000 mA diesel starters are more versatile and cover V8 engine models such as Ford Mustang GT or Chevrolet Camaro. If it’s necessary to feed a truck or a boat, it’s better to choose units with a capacity of 10,000 mA.
How Many Amperes Are Required to Resurrect a Truck’s Battery?
Now, let’s deal with how many amps to jumpstart a truck are needed. The majority of those vehicles feature large diesel motors that demand 12V and even 24V jump starters. So the most appropriate models have 3000/1500 12/24V highest Amps. This spec is possible due to their two inner batteries. A dial to toggle between 12V and 24V also determines the product’s high performance in relation to semi and heavy-duty trucks.