Apparently, a classroom laminating machine will be very convenient for teachers as they need to laminate a lot of papers. They are also very important for elementary school teachers where kids don’t tend to treat things carefully and often spoil many important papers.
There are several types of laminators, but all of them have the same working principle which is quite simple: plastic film and a document are passed between several rotating shafts inside of the laminator’s body. This machine enables you to create different teaching tools, such as worksheets, flashcards, etc. Besides, you may don’t expect, but text and colors also become clearer and brighter after lamination.
However, with so many laminators available on the market, how do you know which one is worth buying? You have to consider so many features, such as lamination speed and thickness, cold/hot lamination, and many others. In this article, we will go over the best laminators for teachers, so keep on reading.
Laminator For Teachers Reviews
Scotch TL901X – best roll laminators for schools
The Scotch TL901X is one of the best roll laminators for schools as it provides clear, high-quality laminating finish and can be used for a wide array of items: certificates, signs, awards, calendars, kids artworks, schedules, and many others. It uses hot lamination with a two-roller system. In general, the unit works well, providing even adhesion without bubbles.
The TL901X is designed for items that are up to 9 inches wide. This way, it can work with letter-size documents (8.5 x 11 inches). This means that it’s compatible with most school and classroom materials for teachers. Besides, it can be safely used for laminating photos which is a rare thing for hot laminators. This model can work with both 3 mil and 5 mil thermal pouches.
This classroom laminator is gray-colored and quite compact (6.75 x 15.5 x 3.75 inches) and weighs only one pound, so it can be easily carried around and won’t take a lot of space on your desk. There is a small and minimalistic control panel located on its top: there are a power button, two temperature settings, and an indicator which lights up when the lamination is completed. Besides, there is also an auto shut-off feature that eliminates overheating.
- The unit requires only one minute to pre-heat.
- It works pretty fast (laminates 11.8 inches per minute).
- The TL901X provides lamination with good optical qualities that make text and colors more pronounced.
- It produces some distinct smell when it’s on (even if it’s not in use).
- The unit is made of cheap plastic that doesn’t seem durable.
The Blusmart 8541731182 can be the best laminator for teachers in terms of universality as it goes with 4 additional items: corner rounder, paper trimmer, 20 laminating pouches of different sizes, and 10 photo frames. This way, buying this laminator, you will also get many pleasant additions that will be useful for preparing papers for lamination.
The present model works great as a laminator for teachers as it provides both cold and hot types of lamination that make it suitable for a bigger variety of items. This way, this machine can be used for photos, cards, certificates, paintings, etc.
The unit requires 3-5 minutes for preheating and laminates 9.8 inches per minute (up to 50 sheets per hour). The laminator has 9 inches wide throat entry which means that it can accept A4 papers. In terms of construction, this model uses a two-roller system.
The on/off switch is located on the side of the laminator. There are two LED lights on top of the unit, red and green, that indicate power and lamination statuses. On the rear side of the unit, you will find an ABS button that allows removing the jammed papers.
The unit itself has a white finish. It measures 15.35 x 3.94 x 5.51 inches and weighs slightly less than 2 pounds.
- The laminator uses an innovative operating system thanks to which it remains silent during work.
- The laminator doesn’t become too hot to handle — just mildly warm.
- It provides a lamination without air bubbles in both cold and hot modes.
- It’s easy to get misfeeds as the paper must be put exactly straight which is not easy to do.
- The laminator easily gets overheated, so be careful when using it for large volumes of work.
If you are searching for the best laminator for teachers in terms of simplicity, this basic unit may be just what you need. Except for on/off switch, there are no other controls on the unit’s body. Thus, it’s extremely easy to use. All you have to do is just turn it on and wait until the “Ready” indicator glows green.
The Crenova 173339 is a thermal laminator that uses a two-roller heating system. It’s a flat, quadrangular unit with rounded edges and black matte finish. Plus, it’s one of those laminating machines for a school that easily fit on the teacher’s desktop without taking any excessive space as it has only 14 x 5.8 x 4.3 inches in size and weighs 2.89 pounds.
This model accepts 9.45 wide papers max. This means that you can laminate items of different width, from thick cards to thin certificates. The laminator has 3-5 minutes heat-up time and 9.8 inches/min laminating speed.
This model ships with a starter set that includes 20 laminating pouches (5 A4, 5 A5, and 10 A6).
- The ABS lever allows you to easily release and effortlessly remove the stuck papers or pouches even when the unit is turned off.
- The power switch is conveniently located on the front panel which makes it easy to reach.
- It comes with a ruler-like trimmer to shave off the excess laminate.
- The ready light is very dim and can’t be seen unless you look directly down on the unit.
- It gets hot to touch when it heats up, so be careful.
This model may possibly be the best laminator for schools as its extra-wide 13-inch throat entry allows laminating items of multiple sizes.
25 laminating pouches of four different sizes (5 A3, 5 A4, 5 A5, and 10 A6) are included, so you can start working with the machine straight after the purchase.
This laminating machine for teachers requires 3-5 minutes to heat up before you can start using it. It works at a speed of 9.8 inches per minute. These models uses a two-roller system and works in both cold and hot modes, so it can be used with different types of laminating pouches.
It’s a sturdy, black colored unit, made of high-quality, durable materials, such as ABS plastic and stainless steel. Thus, the machine is quite heavy, weighing 4.85 pounds, and has 17.32 x 2.76 x 2.76 inches in size.
There are two LED indication lights that show power and “Ready” statuses, and an on/off switch, located on the side of the machine.
- There is a paper cutter, attached to the unit.
- It provides smooth and clear lamination with no jagged edges.
- It comes with 10 photo frames and 3 rings which you can use to decorate the classroom.
- The provided letter-size pouches are too tight and require an effort to fit the paper in.
- The power cord is very short (3 feet).
Video Blusmart BLM00041
The Scotch TL901C is a thermal laminating machine with a two-roller system and two temperature settings. The temperature can be set with the help of two dedicated buttons on the machine’s body. Despite the fact that this model provides only hot lamination, it can be safely used for laminating photos as it doesn’t get too hot to damage them. Just ensure that you are going to laminate a photo with completely dried inks. It also comes with a generous kit of 115 pouches of different sizes.
The laminator’s inlet allows laminating items up to 9 inches wide. The unit itself has only 16.3 x 6.69 x 6.42 inches and weighs only one pound, so it will probably work great as a portable personal laminator for teachers.
- The laminator has large ventilating openings on both sides so it doesn’t get too hot during work.
- It comes with 5 luggage tags and a Plexon brand pen that appear to be pleasant bonuses.
- It’s completely silent during work.
- It takes more than six minutes to heat up.
- The laminator sometimes doesn’t work on the first try.
Video Scotch TL901C
This model is one of the best laminating machine for teachers that feature 2 rollers that can be used either for hot or cold lamination. When used for hot lamination, the 1701857ECR has a heat-up time of 4 minutes.
The laminator is 9 inches wide. However, the same model is also offered in a larger size with 12-inch inlet that will be suitable for A3 papers but for a higher price.
This laminating machine is available in two colors: gray and pink. It weighs 2.6 pounds and has 10.98 x 11.73 x 13.19 inches, so it’s quite slim and small.
There are 2 indicator lights: one informs when the laminator has warmed-up and is ready to work, and the other one shows power status. The power button can be found on the right side of the unit.
This model goes with a small starter pack that includes 5 letter-size laminating pouches with a glossy finish. It also can be used with both 3 and 5 mil laminating pouches.
- The rollers work very smoothly being able to provide a wrinkle-free lamination.
- Working in cold lamination mode, this laminator becomes versatile for many types of pouches, including even pressure-sensitive adhesive pouches.
- The laminator quickly switches between cold and hot lamination.
- Sometimes, the laminator turns off after preheating for no reason, so you have to turn it on again.
- It has quite slow laminating speed: just one A4 sheet per minute.
Main Features You Need To Consider Buying A Laminator For Teachers
The best laminating machine for teachers can be very useful for many types of classroom work. It really helps in involving kids in creative projects as it enables you to create different cards for games, quizzes, etc. Besides, lamination helps both yours and their works stand the test of time.
Hot and Cold Lamination
By choosing the laminating machines for schools, there is a choice between two types of lamination: hot or cold one. Both of them are widely used, but each type has its advantages and disadvantages. However, the choice between them mostly depends on the type of material you are going to laminate.
A hot laminator (also called “thermal”) carries out lamination with the help of a special adhesive layer which becomes active at temperatures above 176°F. The film, used for such a laminator, consists of a heat-resistant material that can withstand temperatures from 230°F to 320°F which allow laminating without any deformations.
Such laminators use special hot rolls equipped with heating elements that heat these rolls to the required temperature. The glue activates and then penetrates into the pores of the paper for secure fixation. After that, the glue cools down, taking a permanent state. Such a film can be torn off only together with a layer of paper.
The temperature of the hot laminator varies depending on the thickness of the pouch. The higher the temperature is, the thicker is the pouch. Depending on the model, the temperature may be set automatically or manually adjusted by the user.
One of the greatest features of hot lamination films is their high optical properties which make printed products brighter and more saturated than cold ones.
Most hot laminators usually take from 1 to 15 minutes to heat up. In addition, the laminated material will require some time to cool down and freeze.
Note that this type of laminator requires special attention when using (especially if it used as a laminator for the classroom) as it gets very hot during operation.
Cold laminators use film with a cold adhesive layer that doesn’t require heating. They are equipped with cold rolls that put slight pressure to adhere the film to the paper. However, in some cases, slight heating (no more than 60°C) is used in order to prevent the formation of air bubbles and make the glue more liquid so it distributed across the surface more evenly.
This type of laminator is more popular due to its versatility as it can be used with a wide range of materials, like documents with heat-sensitive inks, photos, and vinyl that can be damaged by heat.
Cold laminators are less expensive than hot ones as they don’t have a heating system. At the same time, the pouches required for cold lamination are costlier than those available for hot lamination. So even if you buy a budget-friendly cold laminator, be ready to spend your money on pricey materials.
Such laminators also work faster as they don’t require time to heat up before use. Besides, small cold laminators sometimes don’t even require electricity, being able to work with the help of batteries. This means that they can be easily transported and used almost anywhere.
The lamination speed is an important criterion that should be considered by those who don’t want to waste a lot of time on the lamination process. This is especially important if you are going to laminate many items on a regular base. A lamination speed is indicated in inches per minute.
The level of protection of the document depends on the thickness of the lamination. The thicker the pocket is used, the better protection is achieved. However, in some cases, thicker doesn’t mean better. For example, if you need to fold the document after lamination.
Pocket and Roll Laminator
The best personal laminator for teachers must be chosen in accordance with the type of work and formats of documents you need this machine for. In this regard, there is a choice between pocket and roller laminator.
They are smaller and more portable than roll laminators. They use special pre-formatted pockets where you should put the document before inserting it into the machine. They usually work with formats from A2 to A5.
- Has simple construction.
- Performs both double-sided and single-sided lamination.
- Some models allow adjusting speed and temperature.
- Very easy to use and doesn’t require any special skills.
- Not expensive.
- Isn’t intended to be used for high volumes of work.
- Uses high-priced lamination materials.
This type of laminator uses special rollers to laminate documents of almost any size. It’s a more serious unit that usually has a very high laminating speed that allows you to insert files one after the other. This way, it can be recommended for intensive use.
- It can laminate printed products of any format, from A3 to A0.
- Has high productivity.
- The heating rolls provide lamination of higher quality.
- Allows using thin films (up to 8 microns).
- Has complex construction that will be hard to repair in the case of breakage.
- It’s difficult to use as you will need to control the temperature and pressure of the rolls, film tension, feed speed, etc.